What makes a good profile picture?
No Vertical photos: Vertical photos get cropped awkwardly on Withlocals, so opting for a horizontal photo ensures consistent framing and better visibility.
No Logo: Host profiles are reserved for individual hosts, do not use company logos or images of companies as your profile picture.
Avoid Blurry or pixelated photos: A blurry or pixelated image makes it hard for people to see you clearly and creates an unprofessional impression.
No Group photos: It can be difficult to identify you in a group photo, especially if you're not the main focus.
Avoid Unflattering angles or expressions: Avoid photos where you have bad lighting, red eye, or an awkward expression.
No Photos with inappropriate content: This includes anything offensive, discriminatory, or suggestive.
No Selfies in the bathroom or mirror: These types of photos can come across as narcissistic or low-effort.
No Photos with exes or current partners: It's best to keep your dating life private on your profile picture.
No Photos with copyrighted material: Using copyrighted images without permission can be illegal.
Avoid Photoshopped or overly filtered photos: Excessive editing can make you look unrecognizable or unrealistic.
Avoid Photos that don't represent you well: Choose a photo that shows your personality and interests.
Avoid Outdated photos: If your profile picture is from several years ago, it may not be an accurate representation of you anymore.
No photo at all: Not having a profile picture can make you seem less approachable and trustworthy.
Here are some great examples of profile pictures of passionate locals from around the world:
Bonus tip: Use a high-quality headshot or photo where you are the main focus, smiling, and well-lit.
I hope this helps you choose a great profile picture!
The first impression matters. Let guests see how cool you are through your profile picture!
It’s quite easy to make one. Here’s the mood you should be aiming for:
Take as much time as needed to get the right shot!
Please ask a friend to take a picture of you, selfies are not a good idea in this case.
1. Find a nice location for your photo, here are some ideas:
- A small walking street in the old town with not too many people walking by
- A promenade in the park, flowers around
- Beautiful exteriors of buildings or a recognizable city specific architecture
- Graffiti wall or colorful decorations of the city
2. You can include an element that is representative for your passions or hobbies (e.g. a camera, a guitar, your dog, a motorbike in the background)
3. Make sure there’s no people who will pass through the frame
4. Always photograph horizontally
5. Position yourself in the center of the picture, space above the head ½ size of the head, you should be photographed from the waist up.