Code of Conduct for Withlocals Hosts
Withlocals hosts are expected to adhere to and respect the Withlocals Hosts Code of Conduct. The Withlocals Hosts Code of Conduct contains quality standards as well as basic requirements for hosting.
I. Quality Standards
Host quality at Withlocals is defined by the following standards:
Passionate hosts are the heart of Withlocals. Our promise to travelers is to offer them a unique experience, led by hosts that are passionate about the topic of the experience, have a personal connection to it, and deep knowledge of it.
As a host, you are expected to communicate this passion with your guests:
- Know your topics in depth, extra research and preparation work can make a world of difference.
- Be fully present during the experience, for example avoid getting distracted by your mobile.
- Be open and reactive to the feedback you receive from guests and Withlocals.
Withlocals hosts want to share the real soul of their city, offering an authentic experience to guests.
Provide an authentic experience by sharing a unique perspective, unveiling secret gems, providing unique access to your guests. Remember that guests booked you because they are looking to experience something they could not do by themselves!
Connecting cultures and people is our mission. Connect with your guests at all the steps of their Withlocals journey.
Before meeting the guests:
- Be available to reassure your guests and answer their questions. They might need some extra information, or simply reassurance that they picked the right host and experience.
- If any changes are necessary on the route or plan for the experience, communicate it clearly to your guests. Make sure that they are comfortable with the changes.
During the experience:
- Pay attention to your guests' needs: specific groups (elderly, children, persons with disabilities) may need special care.
- Face your guests and make pauses when giving an explanation to make sure everyone in the group feels involved and engaged.
- Be mindful of cultural differences, remember that different people may expect different behaviors and have different sensitivities. Remain curious and keep an open mind.
After the experience:
- Following up on the experience and sharing extra information and tips with the guests can go a long way!
Not meeting these standards will result in an incompatibility to work as a Withlocals host. If you need any extra support or coaching, we are here for you! Check our Learning Center or get in touch with our team to receive help & resources.
II. Hosting requirements
The following requirements are minimum standards that hosts must fulfill to keep a Withlocals profile. Any breach of these requirements will result in a performance breach and may lead in your removal from the platform.
Hosts are required to respect the following professional standards:
- Being available and reachable by both the guests and the office, in particular for any urgent or time sensitive issue, and around the time of a booking.
- Having an appropriate and professional presentation and outfit, respecting hygiene standards.
- Communicating with guests and Withlocals in a polite and respectful manner.
- Respecting the commitment that is a booking. Unforeseen situations can of course happen, but being late, cancelling or not showing up to a booking without informing your guests and without a valid reason is not acceptable.
- Avoiding any inappropriate behaviour such as smoking during a tour.
Withlocals hosts represent the Withlocals community, and are therefore expected to respect the following limitations:
- Withlocals tours should always be private. Unless specifically stated otherwise, or requested by Withlocals with the agreement of all parties, groups from different bookings cannot be mixed, and no other participants but the guests are allowed to join.
- Experiences must always be led by the host of the booking, hosts should never send another person to fill in for a booking.
- Hosts must refrain from expressing negative feelings about Withlocals, or complaining about the company or any of its parties in front of the guests or on public platforms. All complaints and feedback should be addressed directly to the Withlocals team.
- Be mindful of your online presence and set your privacy settings accordingly. Keep in mind the Withlocals image when sharing your social profiles.
- Use the Withlocals platform genuinely to promote your profile and offer experiences to guests but refrain from using the Withlocals platform to conduct other business with guests (for example by trying to bypass the online booking system) or other hosts.
- Remain impartial and keep a service mind and a calm temper when interacting with guests.
- Hosts should not solicit tips and do not discuss remuneration with guests.
Hosts commit to maintaining high standards of safety and security when providing a service to guests. The following standards apply:
- Withlocals hosts should always avoid unsafe situations and assess tour activities for potential hazards or critical points.
- Informing guests of relevant safety procedures when necessary, keeping the relevant emergency numbers and being aware of the closest medical facilities is a must.
- Hosts must never be intoxicated on a tour/experience. Drinking alcohol is forbidden if wine or beer tastings are not included in the tour for guests (for example, Wine & Tapas tour).
In addition, hosts commit to never purchasing an alcoholic drink for a minor.
- Possession or use of illegal drugs on tour will result in instant removal from Withlocals platform.
- Emotional or intimate involvement with any guest – whether real or perceived, and as assessed by Withlocals in its sole discretion, will lead to the instant removal from the platform. Withlocals hosts are in a position of trust and are expected to act accordingly at all times while on a tour.
Hosts should never enter guests’ hotel rooms to avoid any possible misunderstandings or misinterpretations.